3/08/2007

The political party? It's a Surprise.

While most of Snapsville received Hiram's presidential announcement with mild amusement, in some quarters it was received with shock and awe. No one really knew the background or the motivation for such a decision. Yesterday, I had a chance to sit down, privately, with the candidate and hear the details. I stayed silent as Hiram spoke:

"Four weeks ago I went missing from Snapsville. I had received an invitation to attend a clandestine political seminar being held in the Catskills. It was being moderated by an old college buddy, John Shumaker.

John is now chief of operations of The Surprise Party---a lesser known but legitimate political party. 'Surprise' ran a presidential ticket in 2004, but they were then in only three states. Now, we are in seven.

"The candidate chosen for the upcoming 2008 run, has taken ill. He has bilateral restless foot syndrome. Under the circumstances and since it is believed that I am reasonably fit, John has asked me to replace the sick candidate. After some arm twisting, I accepted, even though I now feel like I have restless arm syndrome.

"The Surprise Party expects to be on the ballot in twenty some odd states by November 2008. That's a significant increase, and we can make an impact---at least affecting the voting and issues in the two major parties. We are presently working on the platform and on selecting the campaign song and the party's bird. You can help us with these tasks.

"Tomorrow, I will give you a copies of my bio for wide distribution.

Thanks."


Post pertinent 'comments' below.

No comments: