3/22/2007

Worthy winged species?

Hiram knocked briefly on my door, twisted the knob, and let himself in. He caught me in the midst of consuming a Dagwood style bologna sandwich.

"Hey, haven't you heard? There is a pretty good restaurant in this town. We serve superb cold cuts, ham, cheese and sliced turkey breast."

"Well, Hiram, if this campaign manager's job were not voluntary, perhaps I could afford to eat at your establishment. Speaking of turkey, though, what about the Surprise Party's bird? Any ideas?"

"Yes, I have. I like the dodo bird but it happens to be extinct."

"Extinct won't do."

"I'm thinking of another one. It's a big bird that has persistence and endurance. When I went to 'Nam four or five of them followed our troop transport, all the way. The creatures were rewarded with an all they could eat buffet, as the garbage was thrown over the sides."

"Good choice!" I said, "Many of the birds hung out at Midway Island where they nested and rested and trained the baby birds to fly."

"I, Hiram J. Hope, do affirm and declare that the official bird of the Surprise Party is the mighty ALBATROSS affectionly known as the GOONEY BIRD.

No comments: